Dear Dr. Tubs,
I recently installed a new vanity and toilet in my bathroom. We are thinking of possibly removing the tiles around the tub and we are not sure of what to do with the bathtub as it looks dull and dirty. Should we replace the bathtub or reglaze it?
Thank you for your letter. I’d love to see what the new vanity looks like. If you have any before and after pictures, please send them to me.
I get asked all the time about replacing a tub versus reglazing a bathtub. There are just a few reasons why one should replace their tub instead of reglazing, but there are many more reasons for reglazing.
First off, replacing a tub consists of the following steps:
- Going to a showroom and looking at many tubs and then trying to make a decision on which one to buy. This alone is stressful, as you have to decide on the type of tub, the colour and how you’re going to get it out of the showroom and into your house. Not to mention, you have to pay for it.
- Once you’ve decided on the tub and paid for it, you’ve got to get someone to rip out the old tub in your home and install the new one.
- Ripping out the old tub means you have to remove the row of tiles just above the tub.
- If there are any plumbing issues, it has to be dealt with at this stage.
- Once the tub has been installed, new tiles have to be put back on the wall and everything has to be sealed up.
I can go on and on with more steps, all of which take more time and more money. So, unless the tub is broken, or you want a new tub or you are going to replace the tiles around the tub, replacement doesn’t make any sense. It’s costly and time consuming. Reglazing on the other hand, is a quick process, affordable and it will make your tub look brand new.
Reglazing usually takes 3-4 hours depending on its condition and if it’s been reglazed before. If it has already been reglazed once before, the old paint must be stripped away before the tub can be sprayed. All in all, by the next morning you will have a brand-new-looking tub ready to use for a fraction of the cost and time spent replacing. Furthermore, if the tub is good, why replace?
Here is a list of reasons why you should reglaze your tub.
- The tub is in good condition.
- Your not replacing the tiles around the tub.
- You really like the tub and you just want it to look new.
- You can’t seem to clean it any more… you want it to look clean, shiny and not dull and boring.
- You want to change the colour of the tub.
- You have just spruced up the bathroom with a new vanity, new tiles or you painted the walls and you want to update the tub without ripping it out.
- You don’t have the money to redo the entire bathroom with all new furnishings.
- You can’t remove the tub because the house is so old, it will lead to problems.
- You don’t want to spend the money on redoing the bathroom and your looking for a more affordable option.
- Paint on some old tubs may contain lead or other dangerous substances and you want to stop them from leaching out.
- You want to sell your house/condo and a clean, bright-looking tub is a huge selling feature.
- You don’t have time or the desire to remove and install a new tub.
- Your tub is very heavy to remove.
Dr. Tubs Reglazing is a professional bathroom remodeller servicing the Greater Toronto Area. At Dr. Tubs Reglazing, we pride ourselves on our customer service and workmanship. Reglazing all types of tubs and tiles is what we do well; let us bring your bathroom back to life! We are fully insured and use only the best refinishing chemicals available. Our chemicals are lead, polyurethane and melamine free.